August 7, 2015
I hope you and your students have had a relaxing summer filled with boundless activities and lifelong memories. Fall sports are rapidly approaching and I want to take this opportunity to communicate with you some important information regarding your student’s participation in the Lurgio Middle School Athletic Program.
Lurgio Middle School offers the following sports during the fall season: girls’ volleyball, field hockey, tennis club, coed cross country, girls’ soccer, and boys’ soccer. In order to participate in one of our fall sports, you must have the following:
- A current physical on file with the school nurse
- A current ImPACT (concussion) test on file
- All forms from the Appendix of the Student-Athlete Handbook completed prior to tryouts
- These forms include:
- Athletic Department Program Agreement - page 15
- Athletic Department Parent Pick-Up Release Form - page 16
- Athletic Department Sports Health Questionnaire - page 17-page 19
- Athletic Department Consent for Treatment Form - page 20
For students who have not completed an ImPACT Concussion Test (all 7th graders & some 8th graders), we will be holding these tests on immediately following school dismissal. These tests run about 45 minutes in length (Link to register for ImPACT test).If you cannot make the test on one of those two days, you may schedule a time to take the test with the Safe Sports Network. They can be contacted at (603) 627-9728. For 8th graders who had an ImPACT test in 7th grade, you DO NOT have to take another test. They are valid for two years.
Student learning is the most important priority for the Ross A. Lurgio Middle School. There is significant documentation about the positive effects extracurricular activities have upon the overall education of students. According to Hoff and Mitchell (2007):
Students who participate in extracurricular activities achieve higher grades, are more intrinsically motivated, have fewer discipline problems, are less likely to drop out of school, and more likely to graduate and apply to college...In addition, such participation is a factor in the college admissions process. (para. 28-29)
Because school athletics plays an important role in the educational success of all students, we encourage all our students to tryout for one of our athletic teams. Because we want to offer multiple opportunities for students to be a part of a Lurgio athletic team, we offer rolling tryout dates. For example, if a student does not make a soccer team, he/she may tryout for cross country. Please note the following tryout dates:
- Girls’ & Boys’ Soccer - Monday, August 31 on Preston Field
- Girls’ Volleyball - Monday, August 31 in the RAL Gymnasium
- Field Hockey - on Riley Field
- Coed Cross-Country - at McKelvie Intermediate School
- Coed Tennis Club - at the courts on County Rd.
Please take a moment to read the important attached documents. You'll find the Lurgio Student-Athlete Handbook, a letter detailing our exciting, new partnership with the Safe Sports Network, as well as information regarding sports physicals. If you or your student have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at (603) 310-9100.
William B. Demers
Assistant Principal & Athletic Director